Just Take the Lace Off! Fixing Bodyline L511 – Checker Flower OP
Bodyline is a bit hit-or-miss, but they were having a sale a few months ago, and one of the items that was on sale was L511, the Checker Flower OP with Heart Apron. It was really cheap, so I figured I’d get it and see if the heart apron was any good. (Spoiler, it wasn’t. In addition to having bad lace, it’s not actually sized up for the larger size, so it fits awkwardly)
I did an unboxing / review video on Facebook live if you want my full review. But… I think the moment where I noticed there was lace on the OP sleeves kind of says everything…
“Oh, there is lace on this. “
“There is lace on this and I don’t want to show it to you…”
So, here is a close up of the sleeves lace.
It’s pretty scratchy, but, the actually tulle net part isn’t so bad, which is good, because…
It’s sewn into the surging at the edge of the fabric. This is not an ideal situation because it means that to remove the lace properly, I really have to take the whole sleeve apart. But this is a bodyline dress I paid a pittance for and… that’s more work than it’s worth.
It’s also sewn down at the edge of the sleeve. So, my plan of attack was to cut this thread at the edge of the sleeve very carefully.
The, I just cut the actual lace mesh as close to the surging seam as a possible without actually cutting the surging seam or the dress.
I used a very sharp pair of sewing snips for this (snips are like weird little scissors that look like this and are used to snip threads)
I also stretched the elastic over my fingers at I worked to minimize the chances of snagging the fabric with the point of the snips.
At the halfway point, it looked basically like this… and after about and hour of snipping thread and lace carefully (which is likely on the slower side of things), I was done.
Check out this crunchy lace I had left over…
And here is the final OP. I bought this in the 2L size which is listed as:
Shoulder width 37cm
Sleeve Length 20cm
I’m 5’3″ (160cm) tall, and honestly, I think this is a little on the shorter side. It’s also pretty plain. I wouldn’t exactly say it’s a good example of a lolita dress. However, it’s a decent fabric with a nice stretch and has a back zipper. I think with a chunky white belt it would make an excellent casual wear dress for this spring / summer. Even then, I will say there is a tangle of thread on the back where the person messed up putting in the zipper that I’ll probably need to clean up at some point to prevent it from catching in the wash.
I don’t recommend buying it, but I do think removing the lace salvaged it enough for me to wear it. That said, this was a total hack job, and it only worked this well because the lace was sewn on inside the sleeves. Lace that is sewn on the front of a garment, like the front of the apron, is way harder to remove. If you just cut it out, the mess is left on the front, and you then have to sew something over it. It takes a good eye, and quite a bit of time. The apron straps have the lace totally encased inside, and that’s even harder to deal with. So, because of this, the apron might be a total loss. Maybe I can sell it as a costume piece…
Have you tried changing the lace on anything? How did it turn out? Let me know in the comments! Also, does anyone own an older version of this? Is the lace equally crunchy, or did the new bodyline owners remake it cheaper like they did with some of the blouses?
4 comments on “Just Take the Lace Off! Fixing Bodyline L511 – Checker Flower OP”
The modded one looks quite charming, if I should say, specially for daily wear! I think it might look very cute with a new apron, haha.
It looks cute now! That lace was terrible!
I’m not sure if you’re much of a seamstress but if you are I would say the heart apron would be PERFECT for taking apart to reverse engineer patterns with so you can make your own version of the exact same apron but with better quality materials!
I’ve actually been thinking of doing just that with this op/apron set, but their prices keep fluctuating so I’m just waiting for the day this drops to a more reasonable price for me to snatch up as an experiment. I’ve also theorized that, while not exactly pleasant, the apron may be salvageable if one is adept at handstitching. With the right lace and amount of time it is possible to cut down excess bad lace and cover it up with new if you’re handy enough with a needle, but it would take quite a bit of time because I think it would require much more precision than you can get with a machine, particularly for finishing seams and tucking in any loose bits from the old clipped lace that may try to escape.
I’m not a strong seamstress, no, but honestly, the apron is a poor fit. I suspect they have one size of apron that they sell with all sizes of the dress, because it’s not scaled to the larger size of the dress. So, at that point, I feel like if I specifically wanted to make one, I would be better off using a pattern from a GLB/GosuRori book, since I have most of them XD