52 Week Lolita Topic Challenge : Something That I Made

Today’s post from the 52 Week Lolita Topic Challenge is 33. Something that I made. First and foremost, I’m not a seamstress. When I got asked at the panels I recently did at Otakon how much of my wardrobe was handmade by me, I had this flash of panic because the answer is basically none. That doesn’t mean that nothing in my wardrobe is handmade; I know some really great indie brands. I’m just not the one making any of it.

Carousel HeaddressThat said, I’m going to tell you about two headdresses I did make. First of all, I made a headdress to go with daydream Carnival featuring a music box. And, yes, it spins and works while on my head; the song is “My Heart Will Go On”. The last time I wore this dress before I made it was to Frill, where I matched with a very dear young lady who sadly is no longer with us. I had ordered two music boxes, a cream and pink one that played the song from Castle in the Sky, and this one. Originally, the other one was going to be used, but I decided the lavender one was more fitting. That said, I’ll admit every time I turned it to play the song between when I got it, and when I left for Otakon, I cried. I was really kinda worried that when I got to the convention someone would ask me about it, I’d wind it up and just fall apart. Honestly, I really was worried I’d go to put on the dress and fall apart. But, I managed not to cry my make up off, and to smile a bit, so I guess it worked out alright. And honestly, at the end of the night, I didn’t want to take it off, impractical thing that it is.

Carousel HeaddressI used my twintails to hold it in place, so the large bow and the extra trailing flowers were done as separate pieces from the main headdress. I used a lot of floral wire to connect a little plastic yarn work disc to the headband and then attached the carousel to that with more wire. The flowers then got hotglued on.

 

tumblr_mrjjsm9Yed1qfo72no1_1280

My Girlfriend and I at the Otakon Tea, photo by Jayne

Next we have a crown I made for the Otakon tea. It’s made of metal clockhands (they were black on one side, but the other wise was white, so I spray painted the backs) and black mulberry paper flowers.

Clockhand Crown Clockhand Crown

 

I used a thinner wire to make a circlet and connect all the clockhands. Then I used the wire on the roses to wire them on. The hands slid side to side a little sometimes, so I’m going to add a little drop of glue to them in a few places. Also, please pardon my messy work space, I had all my bags and boxes of supplies everywhere.

tumblr_mr5x6dVxMJ1s9hxveo2_1280
tumblr_mr5x6dVxMJ1s9hxveo4_1280

7 thoughts on “52 Week Lolita Topic Challenge : Something That I Made

    • Thank you! I got the clockhands wholesale from a place online, so I didn’t have to buy the clock mechanics with them, and I had some left over so I made a little pin with a spray of them and some flowers that I just need to get a pin back for (I had some but I can’t find them) I love how spiky and gothic-y they are. I was actually looking for a Santos crown, and I couldn’t find one, so I started brainstorming and looking for filigree bits to use to make a crown, which landed me on some steampunk supply etsy shops and I actually saw a pendant that used clock parts on one that made me think of it. XD They come in a really surprisingly large number of sizes and styles, I had no idea!

    • Thank you! Oh gosh, it’s so heavy. XD it’s not even funny. I was seriously debating trying to cut it into two pieces and use a dremel or something to carve all the material out of the top half and the glue it back together. It would be lighter if took out the music mechanics too, but I haven’t the heart to do it. I had to be very careful not to turn my head too fast! XD

Leave a Reply